Anderson Family Professor in Energy and the Environment
Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering and the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment
Chair, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
221 Engineering Quad
PhD, Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
MSc, Operational Research, London School of Economics and Political Science
Diploma, Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
Honors and Awards
- Paul E. Elfers Professor, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2017
- Production and Operations Management Society, Applied Research Challenge Award, 2016
- Covestro Lecturer, Department of Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2016
- Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2015
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award, CAST Division of AIChE, 2013
- Vilas Associate, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2013
- W. David Smith Jr. Graduate Student Paper Award, CAST Division of AIChE, 2008
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2006
- Inaugural Olaf A. Hougen Fellowship, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2004
- Alexander Onassis Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 2001
- Fulbright Graduate Fellowship (declined), 1999
- Faculty, Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment
The goal of research in the group of Christos Maravelias is to develop optimization theory, models and solution methods for problems in the general area of energy and process systems engineering. Current projects include: (1) chemical production scheduling, planning, and supply chain optimization; and (2) energy systems modeling, optimization and analysis, with emphasis on biomass-to-fuels/chemicals and solar fuel and power technologies.
- Maravelias CT. Chemical Production Scheduling: Mixed-Integer Programming Models and Methods. Cambridge University Press, 2021. (ISBN: 9781107154759).
- Restrepo-Florez JM, Ryu J, Witkowski D, Rothamer D, Maravelias CT. A Systems Level Analysis of Ethanol Upgrading Strategies to Middle Distillates. Energy & Environmental Science, 15, 4376-4388, 2022. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/D2EE02202H).
- Chen Y, Maravelias CT. Variable Bound Tightening and Valid Constraints for Multiperiod Blending. INFORMS Journal on Computing, 34(4), 2073-2090, 2022. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.2021.1140).
- Ryu J, Kong L, Lima AEP, Maravelias CT. A Generalized Superstructure-based Framework for Process Synthesis. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 133, 106653, 2020.(DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2019.106653).
- Risbeck MJ, Maravelias CT, Rawlings JB. Unification of Closed-loop Scheduling and Control: State-space Formulations, Terminal Constraints, and Theoretical Properties. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 129, 106496, 2019.(DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2019.06.021).