Phd - Material Science and Engineering - Drexel University
MS - Mechanical Engineering - Penn State University
B.S. Engineering - Swarthmore College
B.A. Economic - Swarthmore College
Honors and Awards
- POLiS Award of Excellence, Germany Consortium for Beyond Li-ion batteries, 2021
- Sloan Fellowship in Chemistry, 2020
- Toyota-ECS Young Investigator Award, 2019
- MRS Nelson "Buck" Robinson Award, 2019
- NSF CAREER Award, 2019
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award Winner, 2017
- Assistant Professor, Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Associated Faculty, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Associated Faculty, Princeton Materials Institute
Hatzell's group is interested in emerging decarbonization technologies for transportation, fuel, and direct air capture applications. The group has a significant focus on energy storage (batteries/thermal) and is interested at using non-equilibrium x-ray techniques to probe materials during in situ and operando experimentation. Hatzell's group has been examining novel inorganic and hybrid solid electrolytes for next generation solid state batteries.
- Dixit, Marm B., Jun-Sang Park, Peter Kenesei, Jonathan Almer, and Kelsey B. Hatzell. "Status and prospect of in situ and operando characterization of solid-state batteries." Energy & Environmental Science 14, no. 9 (2021): 4672-4711.
- Zaman, W., Matsumoto, R.A., Thompson, M.W., Liu, Y.H., Bootwala, Y., Dixit, M.B., Nemsak, S., Crumlin, E., Hatzell, M.C., Cummings, P.T. and Hatzell, K.B., 2021. In situ investigation of water on MXene interfaces. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(49).
- Hatzell, K.B., Chen, X.C., Cobb, C.L., Dasgupta, N.P., Dixit, M.B., Marbella, L.E., McDowell, M.T., Mukherjee, P.P., Verma, A., Viswanathan, V. and Westover, A.S., 2020. Challenges in lithium metal anodes for solid-state batteries. ACS Energy Letters, 5(3), pp.922-934.
- Ren, Y., Hortance, N., McBride, J., & Hatzell, K. B. (2020). Sodium–Sulfur Batteries Enabled by a Protected Inorganic/Organic Hybrid Solid Electrolyte. ACS Energy Letters, 6(2), 345-353.
- Zaman, Wahid, Nicholas Hortance, Marm B. Dixit, Vincent De Andrade, and Kelsey B. Hatzell. "Visualizing percolation and ion transport in hybrid solid electrolytes for Li–metal batteries." Journal of Materials Chemistry A 7, no. 41 (2019): 23914-23921.